Renew your vehicle registration on time
Note: It is mandatory to renew Private Vehicle Registrations and licensing annually. The month for renewal of Registration and Licensing is the month the Vehicle was first Registered and licensed by LTA or Police and the month is indicated on the Warrant of Fitness sticker indicate expire date of the vehicle licensing. It is an offence to drive a Vehicle on Samoa’s road that is expired or lost the Warrant of Fitness.
- Bring your Vehicle to the Police Vehicle and Driver Licensing Registration Section at Vaitele Upolu Or at Salelologa Savaii branch to carry out vehicle safety inspection.
- Certifying Officers will conduct inspection in comply with Road Safety Standards.
- Upon satisfying inspection a Vehicle inspection sheet will be given with endorsement for approval of Warrant of Fitness.
- Submit the Vehicle Inspection Sheet and payment to cashier and receive your Warrant of Fitness Sticker.
- In the event the Inspection is unsatisfactory the owner of the vehicle will be advised to rectify defects of the vehicle that failed the inspection before coming back for a re-inspection.
- Late inspection on vehicle is charge on a late fee $105.00tala
Transfer Vehicle Ownership
It is mandatory that once a vehicle is sold off to a new owner, a transfer of vehicle ownership has to be made. An application is to be submitted to ACEO Legal and the process is as follows:
When transferring ownership of a vehicle:
- Obtain a Vehicle Transfer Form from Police Legal Division or a letter of consent from legal registered owner or seller.
- Fill in the form and submit to COP for Approval. Submission should include an ID/Passport of the Seller of vehicle.
- Upon approval, the transfer fee is paid at the Cashier. Fee is $126.00 for private vehicles and $200.00 for Commercial Vehicles.[Taxi & Buses].
- Submit receipt to Legal team for transfer to proceed.
- New Owner should be given a Vehicle Ownership Certificate with the new owner’s name on the Certificate.
Note: If a vehicle has more than one owner, a consent letter and Identification document is to be provided by all owners for a transfer to take place.
Taxi Stand Registration
To register a Taxi Stand, the applicant must submit a request to the Commissioner of Police together with the following documentations and must meet the following requirements:
- Provide a valid business license of both parties.
- Consent of land owner if land is not your property. Must have a minimum of 10 taxi vehicles to be registered in the Stand.
- A base and visible sign of taxi stand on base.
- All taxis must have signs of taxi stand on both front door sides and top of windshield with a size of 4″or 10cm only with a sign taxi and bar provided at center on top of taxi roof.
- Completed Form provided by the MOP and pick up application form from Police Vehicle and Driver License Registration Section at Vaitele or at Salelologa Savaii with a fee $37.00.
- Size of taxi sign sticker is 42cm/30cm that equivalent to a size of ‘A-3’ paper
- Prohibited to install any additional unlawful accessories to taxi and buses as required under Traffic Law that affecting the safety.
Commercial vehicle Registration
Note: It is mandatory to renew Public Service Vehicle (Buses & Taxis) Registrations and licensing twice a year in March and September for taxi only and 4 times a year in every 3 months for commercial buses only. It is an offence to drive a Public Service Vehicle on Samoa’s road that is expired or lost a Certificate of Fitness.
- Bring your Vehicle to the Police Vehicle and Driver License Registration Section Office at Vaitele Upolu Or at Salelologa Savaii at the same old premises was under LTA for inspection.
- Provide your valid Business License Certificate issued by the Ministry of Revenue and a valid commercial driver license.
- Certifying Officers will carry out safety inspection of a vehicle based on Road Safety Standards.
- Upon satisfying inspection a PSV inspection sheet will be given with approval and submit for payments at cashier to obtain Certificate of Fitness.
- Inspection hour is from 9.00am to 4.00pm on daily working days
- Late inspection on any Taxi is charge with a fee of $53.00 tala
- Late inspection on any Buses is charge with a fee of $26.50 tala